Steinway regulation

kam544 kam544@gbronline.com
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 21:30:14 -0600

>Thanks for your input Keith.

You're welcome.

>... the teachers were complaining that the pedal was too hard to play.

There are several areas that can cause a sustain pedal hard to
operate. Pivots points, contact points, leathers, springs, any or all
of these can contribute to excess friction.

>I first suspected that they were complaining because the younger
>students would mostly have older uprights at home and would not be
>used to a better grand with a stiffer pedal.

That certainly could be an additional reason.

>... I suspect that correcting the height by measuring from the
>height of the key-slip bed will correct all the other complaints the
>owners have had from people who play their piano, most typically
>that it is too stiff.    Tim- tuning to stay warm in Canada.

It will take a lot more than just correcting a possible key height
problem to eliminate stiffness (a heavy touch) in a Steinway action.
Not a chore for the weak of heart.

Best,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician