Laminated Bridge Caps

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 21:38:46 -0600

>Ron Nossaman has stated that he uses 1.5 to 2 mm thick laminations, but
>not the total thickness.

!.5mm or thinner is my preference, since 1.5mm is about as thin as I can
get with my planer, but 1mm would be fine with me too. About 6mm total
thickness allows enough for the notches.

>If one is building a new bridge, the root would either be cut from solid
>stock or vertically laminated (or however) and the laminated cap would be
>put on top of that.

Yup.

>If one is recapping an old bridge, and only removing the old cap, then
>obviously the new laminated cap simply replaces the old cap, or there
>abouts. However, if one does not like the idea of filling old bridge pin
>hole in bridge root with maple pegs or whatever, the majority of the
>bridge root will be sawn/routed off. What do folks replace the routed-off
>root section with? Solid hard maple stock and then the laminated maple cap
>on top of that?

I don't have any problem at all with plugging the old holes. I figure the
cap determines the quality of the string termination, not what's at the
bottom of the pin.

>Seems like it would be just about as easy to simply replace the whole
>bridge. Yes?

Well, not exactly. Even if you cut half the bridge root down to eliminate
the old pin holes, you would have plenty left as a router guide to trim the
new super thick CAP. That's not much more difficult than just replacing the
top 6mm compared to making a whole new bridge.

Ron N