Wood

Sun, 16 Feb 2003 01:00:22 +0100

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >That sounds reasonable enough to me. I think that qualifies you as a bonified
> >expert.
>
> Wrong. It qualifies me as someone who is interested enough is verifiable
> data to purchase reference material instead of guessing.

Ok... have it your way. I have a few books too and dont find anything on the
subject which is kinda why I asked. Guessing seems ok.... as long as you remember
that you are guessing...at least I think.

> >We'll leave it there for now :)
>
> Don't bother. That's where it's going to stay.

Er... ok. we'll leave it where it stays.

> >I have it on dietic authority that wood looses its reactionary behavior to
> >climatic and anti climatice variations in ambient atmospheric conditions. I
> >thought that was the same thing.
>
> I don't care how thin your authority is, just because old wood doesn't
> react like new wood to humidity changes doesn't mean it's not experiencing
> them. It's not the same thing by a long shot. As this pertains specifically
> to soundboards, this has been gone over in great detail many times on the
> list, and in Del's Journal articles. Both pretty good sources of reference.

Did I spell the wrong word there.... darn... I didnt mean thin... I meant
spiritual. And I was injecting a bit of humour, or attempting to anyways. But as
long as you touch on the point.... wood doesnt react to climate is NOT because it
becomes less hygroscopic in nature eh ?? Ok... I dont remember this exact point
being covered on the list but things pass me by for sure.

You or anyone care to refer me to a particular issue where Del covers all this. I
kinda promised Del I'd ease off on my "opinions" :) until I read more on the
subject. Which I am doing FWIW.

> >  can ya still
> >make a good sounding soundboard out of it ?
>
> I wouldn't try. It would be awfully heavy.

so much for that idea.

> >Could you use such "wood" to make
> >a more stable keyframe ? What about such material for a bridge ?
>
> Maybe, and maybe. How unstable is a wooden keyframe? It might make a good
> bridge cap, but I'm not convinced the bridge root is a problem.

Depends.... some of them (keyframes) are pretty unstable.

> >Just curious....as usual.. and a bit more then usually annoyed at the curling
> >key frame syndrome.
> >
> >RicB
>
> That hasn't been enough of a problem for me to pursue.

Well, I suppose its all part of what keeps me in work. Compensating twice a year
for the ups and downs of the key frame as it were. So I guess I shouldnt complain.
Still seems like I could be spending more of my time replacing worn parts.

> Ron N

Thanks for the reply. Its appreciated

RicB

--