Wood

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 16:14:55 -0600

>That sounds reasonable enough to me. I think that qualifies you as a bonified
>expert.

Wrong. It qualifies me as someone who is interested enough is verifiable
data to purchase reference material instead of guessing.

>We'll leave it there for now :)

Don't bother. That's where it's going to stay.

>I have it on dietic authority that wood looses its reactionary behavior to
>climatic and anti climatice variations in ambient atmospheric conditions. I
>thought that was the same thing.

I don't care how thin your authority is, just because old wood doesn't
react like new wood to humidity changes doesn't mean it's not experiencing
them. It's not the same thing by a long shot. As this pertains specifically
to soundboards, this has been gone over in great detail many times on the
list, and in Del's Journal articles. Both pretty good sources of reference.

>  can ya still
>make a good sounding soundboard out of it ?

I wouldn't try. It would be awfully heavy.

>Could you use such "wood" to make
>a more stable keyframe ? What about such material for a bridge ?

Maybe, and maybe. How unstable is a wooden keyframe? It might make a good
bridge cap, but I'm not convinced the bridge root is a problem.

>Just curious....as usual.. and a bit more then usually annoyed at the curling
>key frame syndrome.
>
>RicB

That hasn't been enough of a problem for me to pursue.

Ron N