Mother of all Bellyrails re-visited

Sat, 15 Feb 2003 11:39:15 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Newell" <gnewell@ameritech.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: February 13, 2003 7:46 PM
Subject: Mother of all Bellyrails re-visited

> Del,
>          A little late and a great deal more than a dollar short but I
seem
> to remember you saying that the soundboard for your current project came
> out in one piece without any difficulty. As I'm trying to look more
closely
> at the pictures I don't see any marking that might indicate that the
> soundboard was attached with anything other than screws. Did I miss
> something? I see some black coloring on the "feet" but no evidence of
glue?
> Am I seeing things? Is it official? Have I truly gone blind? Like when I'm
> looking for something right under my nose

I can't speak for your visual acuity, but the soundboard is attached to the
inner rim by both screws and glue blocks. The glue blocks are about 25 mm by
50 mm and are spaced about every 250 mm to 300 mm apart all around the
soundboard parameter.

There is also a small stiffening strip running around the parameter of the
soundboard--along the bottom edge--apparently to keep it from cracking and
splitting. It is actually this strip that is glued to the glue blocks.

Del