Steinway music shelf guide strip removal

FIXPIANOS@aol.com FIXPIANOS@aol.com
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:18:32 EST

How does one go about removing the music shelf guide strips from Steinway
grands prior to pulling the plate? Some are secured with screws and they're
no problem. But the mortised strips are a real pain. Being mahogany, they
invariably shatter along the grain lines and I end-up either gluing the
individual pieces back together for reassembly or just make new ones. I can
NEVER remove them cleanly. Is there a secret method that someone would like
to share?

Thanks.

Donn Young, RPT