DC

Jonathan Finger johann@tollidee.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:07:17 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Greg Newell
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 8:41 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: DC

Jonathan,
         Not to belabor the topic but are you saying that this method
used
by Skuttle is truly steam not mist? I've always thought that the April
air
units used a mist that kicked on when the blower / fan unit went on.
What
is the water wall method? I don't see much of a difference between the
quality of the units where you say that one definitely has more of an
industrial flare to it. If that were true would it use a self piercing
water valve? If this is truly a steam generating unit how much good does

that really do? Does it not still have to get all the way through the
duct
work and would it not become the simple mist along the way anyway? Do
you
contend that this unit's own fan is strong enough to carry a column of
treated air throughout the entire duct work system as small of a fan as
it
is? I think I'm just a little bit skeptical. I'll have to take your word

for the assertion that there are measurable differences but I think if I

were in the market for my home I would have to see more than just the
company literature on it. Thanks for telling us about it.

Greg Newell

You're not belaboring at all. :)  Actually, I've been enjoying the
discussion, as it's got me thinking about other options, and
possibilities.  Nothing I'm saying is "precher's word"....  just
speaking from experience. :)

Anyway, I guess first we have to decide what the difference between
steam and mist is.  The dictionary gives them very similar definitions,
and the only difference I've found, is that mist is a shower of very
small droplets, where steam is the water in gas form, cooling, and
becoming vapor.

	When I mentioned the fan before, I was referring to the stand
alone unit, which uses it's own fan.  This unit is used in homes which
do not have forced air systems.  Otherwise the unit has a switch which
can turn on your fan, without the heat.  This allows you to humidify,
without heating.

You asked about the water-wall method.  This typically consists of some
type of filter, where the water trickles down in liquid form.  Then the
hot air produced by the heater flows through, and picks up moisture
(with the principle that warm air holds more moisture than cool air).  A
steam humidifier uses a heating element to create steam, then blows that
steam throughout the house, where it cools, and adds moisture to the
air.  The Skuttle in particular has a self flushing timer.  This allows
the unit to clean itself every 12 hours to prevent mineral build up.

I was skeptical as well Greg, until I started measuring results
accurately in people's homes.  These units can handle a lot of air
space, and seem to handle the work load without problem.  As I stated
before, I'm not saying other units don't work.  This is simply the one
I've had the most experience with.  Or should I say, the best experience
with.  Certainly I see more April Air, and Honeywell units in the field,
as they are more commonly sold by HVAC guys.  Not to say that these
units are useless themselves, but I'm not convinced that they are always
installed properly, or properly maintained by their owners.  The
Skuttle's I've seen however, have produced very stable results when
properly installed and cared for.

Best Wishes,

Jonathan Finger RPT