help with action geometry

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:04:40 EST

I am in the process of rebuilding a 1895 Model A, which was done once before,
but very poorly. The first thing I noticed, and the thing the customer
complained about, was an extremely heavy action. This was because there was a
lot of let off, about 1/2". When I removed the fall board, I noticed that the
pin block (which had been replaced), was sticking down from the front
stretcher about 1/4".  My first inclination was that the plate was set back
in the piano too high, and that is why there was so much let off.

I have replaced the pin block, and the plate is back in the right position,
and there is good downbearing. But I am now starting to work on the action,
replacing the h/s/f and wips. Now I see why there was so much let off. This
other rebuilder used a 1 1/2" thick pin block. But instead of planing down
the entire block, he only trimmed down the ends, which rest on the inner rim,
but he left rest of the pin block the original 1 1/2". That is why there is
about a 1/4" of pin block sticking down below the stretcher. Obviously that
wouldn't allow the action to slide in. So in order to get the action in, he
lowered the action by shaving down the action frame mounting blocks. (I think
that is what they are called).

I want to replace the blocks. But the question I have is measurements. About
20 years ago when I put a new action in a Steinway, and these blocks were not
attached to the action frame. I think I remember I had to sort of go by where
the striking point was of the last couple of notes, combined with the hieght
of the hammers. I had a hell of time figuring out where to put them. Is there
some measurement I can go by to determine where I have to put the blocks, and
how high the action has to be?

Wim