The Secret to RE: Here, try this!

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:44:43 -0600

If this is "causing an upheaval" at university, I am very concerned about
the quality of students they are giving degrees to! <G> If anyone wants to
know the how this little trick works, scroll down and I will tell all. But
I'm not a spoilsport, so if you'd rather be mystified or figure it out on
your own, don't scroll down.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

Answer

When you add the digits and subtract from the original number, the new
number is ALWAYS a multiple of nine. That, alone, is pretty thought
provoking ... but I digress.  In the chart, all the multiples of nine (9,
18, 27, 36, etc.) have the same symbol so you will always get a match when
you click on the crystal ball. Then, so it won't be obvious, it randomly
scrambles the symbols every time you run it--but the multiples of nine will
all be the same.