Pleyel, Lyon, Wolfe, and Co. upright

Clark Sprague clark@evola.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:10:36 -0500

Esteemed Listees,=20
     Thanks to one and all who had input on the Hazelton Bros grand that =
I put on the list the other day.  The boss is reconsidering whether to =
try to wholesale it or not, now that I opened my mouth and said that it =
could make a piano if re-whatevered.  I should learn someday!=20
    The new, unique exposure, today, was an upright piano mentioned in =
the subject line.  On the left, inside the piano were the numbers 30 E =
134, and on the right, (what I think is the serial number) is 142100.  =
(Pierce makes the date at 1907).  I assume that the model is what is on =
the right.  Open face pinblock, with most of the middle and top range =
tuning pins loose, big cracks in the soundboard, what appears to be a =
partial rebuilding job on it, with hammers (some glued on crooked, etc). =
 Beautiful cabinet.
    Any info or comment on this piano from our esteemed French =
colleagues, or anyone else with experience with these?  Especially the =
pinblock and soundboard, which had a layer of approx. 1 inch thick =
boards under the plate,  I had never seen anything like this before.  =
Also, the hammer rail looked like it had a brass flange that ran the =
whole length of each section, with a continuous center pin through the =
hammer centers?  I know that I tried to space a couple hammers that were =
rubbing, and couldn't move the hammers to the sides, and didn't want to =
break anything, so I showed it to her, and let it go, for now.
    A truly unique piano!  Anyone?
Clark A. Sprague, RPT