hammer rail sandpaper query

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:18:54 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of tune4u@earthlink.net
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 8:53 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: hammer rail sandpaper query

Haven't done this but I know you can by the self-sticking paper used on
certain sanders, etc. Don't know what grit, probably 100 or 120 or so.
What
I would want to know is how to do it without having to start all over in
alligning hammers to strings--especially when retaining the existing
grooved
hammers. Can't think of any way to accurately mark the existing flange
locations. I know you can adjust a flange-shank-hammer with the action
in
the piano, but doesn't that require having its neighbors securely
screwed
down? Hmmm ... sounds like a fussy, time consuming job, to me.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

	Search the archives .This has been discussed before. As for
reinstalling the parts, you can line the knuckles up on the rep levers
to get in the ballpark, then, depending on the flange shape use any
number of techniques to align to strings. My new Mannino designed
spacing tool is my "best tool of the new millennium winner"
	As for aligning string cuts, why not reshape? Also re-travelling
the shank-flanges will be necessary and for me more time consuming than
spacing. By the way, this is where a good electric screwdriver will pay
for itself.
	Tom Driscoll