hammer rail sandpaper query

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 07:52:35 -0600

Haven't done this but I know you can by the self-sticking paper used on
certain sanders, etc. Don't know what grit, probably 100 or 120 or so. What
I would want to know is how to do it without having to start all over in
alligning hammers to strings--especially when retaining the existing grooved
hammers. Can't think of any way to accurately mark the existing flange
locations. I know you can adjust a flange-shank-hammer with the action in
the piano, but doesn't that require having its neighbors securely screwed
down? Hmmm ... sounds like a fussy, time consuming job, to me.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Tvak@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 7:25 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: hammer rail sandpaper query

List

I need to replace the sandpaper on a hammer rail.  The hammers won't stop
drifting side to side, and the screw holes are not stripped.  There's just
nothing for them to grip to.  (The piano is a 1907 6'10" Kimball grand.)

What grit?  What glue?  Removal of old paper? (not sure if there was any
there to begin with)  Will this cause any regulation problems I should be
aware of? (Not that the piano has any semblence of proper regulation as it
is...)

Any caveats or advice appreciated, as I have never done this before.

Thanks,
Tom S