armond re: 1920's pianos

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:52:34 -0800 (PST)

> let's just say that the ultimate in available
> materials, craftsman, and era
> timing to make fine pianos existed in the 1920's
> without a doubt.

Hi Armond,
     I like old pianos too, but after seeing thousands
of them I must say that the finest workmanship and
materials, on vintage instruments, went into those
from the 1890-1915 era..  Kimbball was the first
mass-market cheap-o piano ( though they did make some
quality stuff in the late 20's ) and was much-hated in
the industry for introducing "junk", into what was
previously the paragon of industrial technology and
art.  Other manufacturesrs followed suit, and by the
end of WWI, many were offering "economy" grade
instruments, too.
     That's my take on it, anyhow.
     Thump

     P.S. I like Tatum, too!