DC

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:41:54 -0500

--=====================_12645750==.ALT
Kenneth,
         You're a VERY funny guy!  While I certainly believe it is
imperative for each of us to conduct ourselves in as conscientious a manner
as possible looking to best serve our customers needs my "reason for
existence" is most certainly to make money!!! I could think of many other
things to do with my time that have nothing to do with cranking tuning pins
or rebuilding actions or even occasionally larger work. I feel truly
blessed that I actually like what I do for a living and it does show in my
efforts.
         I, like you, used to be against selling and installing
Damp-Chasers until I was presented with a situation in a local music school
with an abominable heating system. Their pianos would not stay in tune any
other way. Once I installed them I marveled at the change. They went from
needing a bi-yearly pitch correction of about 35 cents to a bi-yearly
correction of about 7 cents. I was convinced. That having been said they
are absolutely worthless unless someone is willing to watch the lights and
add water when necessary. My wife originally did some cleaning for this
school 2 days a week. She added water every time she was there. Once she
quit, the pianos quickly went to pot since no one else was willing to fill
them up.
         I, like many others, sell them not just to make money but to serve
the customers need in making their piano stable. Do I think that every
piano that ever left a showroom floor needs one? Certainly not. I sell them
in problem areas for customers who require a better solution than tuning
their pianos every other month. Some in our profession actually do have
good motivations and are trying to achieve good results aside from
motivations based purely and only on the almighty dollar. Please be careful
with the broad sweep of the pen or even your own thought process. Perhaps
the motivation of the dealer in question was such that he/she was aware
that "since those beasties really don't hold tune well anyway I'll just
help them out by installing one of these before they ever have a problem".
         Just a few random thoughts for whatever they may be worth.

Greg Newell

At 02:54 AM 2/12/2003, you wrote:

>Hi List:
>
>Time and again I have come across DC installed in a piano, and I feel the
>customer has thrown his money away. What really was wrong was tight centre
>pins, or tight key bushings.
>
>As RPT's, our primary reason for existance is not to make money: but to
>ensure quality piano care within the musical community. I ran across
>another DC recently installed in a brand-new Samick. In my opinion, it was
>a waste of money, which gave satisfaction only to the piano store who made
>a profit by installing it.
>
>I never recommend DC. I don't believe in them. I might someday, but it
>would have to be under very extenuating circumstances.
>
> From David Slolnik, Feb 10, Vol 156 Section 3 :- "In fact, Steinway's web
> site makes absolutely no mention of
>DampChasers.  They recommend maintaining the room environment at between
>45% and 65% by the use of room humidification, dehumidification and
>air-conditioning.  My experience has been that Steinway has been extremely
>reticent in recommencing the use of DampChasers, as they have no control
>over the quality of the installation, nor the dependability of the product
>itself."
>
>Kenneth Finlayson, RPT
>
>---

Greg Newell