DC

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 08:05:31 -0500

When I think about the benefits of a DC installation, I think about tuning stability in the short term, and string corrosion, glue joint, soundboard panel, bridge cap longevity in the long term. I would imagine putting a heater bar in a piano that has a sluggish action and is in a very humid environment might help free the action - but I have never sold a DC unit to solve such a problem.

Tuning stability in the short term, and piano longevity in the long term. IMHO

Also, Ken, do the installations you have seen include a properly installed humidistat? And what neck of the woods do you hail from?

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "KENNETH FINLAYSON" <kennyfin@jetstream.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 2:54 AM
Subject: DC

Hi List:

Time and again I have come across DC installed in a piano, and I feel the customer has thrown his money away. What really was wrong was tight centre pins, or tight key bushings.

As RPT's, our primary reason for existance is not to make money: but to ensure quality piano care within the musical community. I ran across another DC recently installed in a brand-new Samick. In my opinion, it was a waste of money, which gave satisfaction only to the piano store who made a profit by installing it.

I never recommend DC. I don't believe in them. I might someday, but it would have to be under very extenuating circumstances.

>From David Slolnik, Feb 10, Vol 156 Section 3 :- "In fact, Steinway's web site makes absolutely no mention of
DampChasers.  They recommend maintaining the room environment at between
45% and 65% by the use of room humidification, dehumidification and
air-conditioning.  My experience has been that Steinway has been extremely
reticent in recommencing the use of DampChasers, as they have no control
over the quality of the installation, nor the dependability of the product
itself."

Kenneth Finlayson, RPT