Best Thing since Peanut Butter!

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:04:30 -0800

Often times, I have to repair a case part, on an olde piano. A lot of the
time, it is difficult to tell what the finish is/was. As most know, you
can't put lacquer on varnish and varnish on lacquer can sometimes cause
problems, as well. The one finish that is compatable with laquer and
varnish, is Shellac. Also, in this equation, is the need to get a good
finish on the piece, with the least amount of "drying time". Again, Shellac
is a good choice.
Now, the downside to regular Shellac is that it's not fun to work with and
has a short shelf life. While doing my usual browsing in my local,
(upscale), hardware store, I came across "Bullseye" Shellac in a SPRAY CAN!
I've been using it to seal olde finishes after toning/blending, etc. What a
dream to work with! As near as I can tell, because it's in a sealed/under
pressure can, it doesn't have a "shelf life". Clean up is easy and Lacqer
and Varnish adhere very well. It dries fast, as well, so multiple coats are
possible.
Just thought I'd pass this along, for those of you who have to do little
repairs that need finishing, in a quick/efficient way.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)