DC

Armond armond@snip.net
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 08:03:19 -0500

on 2/12/03 2:54 AM, KENNETH FINLAYSON at kennyfin@jetstream.net wrote:

Hi List:

Time and again I have come across DC installed in a piano, and I feel the
customer has thrown his money away. What really was wrong was tight centre
pins, or tight key bushings.

As RPT's, our primary reason for existance is not to make money: but to
ensure quality piano care within the musical community. I ran across another
DC recently installed in a brand-new Samick. In my opinion, it was a waste
of money, which gave satisfaction only to the piano store who made a profit
by installing it.

I never recommend DC. I don't believe in them. I might someday, but it would
have to be under very extenuating circumstances.

>From David Slolnik, Feb 10, Vol 156 Section 3 :- "In fact, Steinway's web
site makes absolutely no mention of
DampChasers.  They recommend maintaining the room environment at between
45% and 65% by the use of room humidification, dehumidification and
air-conditioning.  My experience has been that Steinway has been extremely
reticent in recommencing the use of DampChasers, as they have no control
over the quality of the installation, nor the dependability of the product
itself."

Kenneth Finlayson, RPT

the thing is, soundboards, or real ones anyway, create the proper tone and
curve at 42% humidity.  the string tension against the board when strings
are tuned at 440cps., also is engineerd to the proper curve in the
soundboard.  therefore, all soundboards should be kept at 42% relative
humidty.  granted the DC systems are not the best way to do this, but by far
the practical way to, and are necessary and there are no different opions on
the subject because piano engineering is mathematical and physical science.

Armond