DC

Tony Caught caute@bigpond.com
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 06:22:02 +0930

Hi Kenneth,

At one time I also had the same opinion. I would say that there are only =
5 centre pins causing trouble and change them. The same piano next year =
only had 6 more and the following year about 9. But I guess that the =
worst part is that the entire action was uneven in control and I did not =
want to change all the centrepins to even it up when I knew the problem =
would go away in 3 months when the humidity dropped.

Really Kenneth it depends on where you live, conditions the piano lives =
in and the humidity variations.  Here in Darwin this morning the temp =
was 28C humidity was 92% at 9 AM. It went to 34C with the humidity off =
69% at 3 PM and most people leave there windows open to get the breezes.

Now if I was living in Newcastle where the MC of timber remains constant =
all year around I would agree with you.=20

Where do you live ?

regards

Tony Caught
Australia
caute@bigpond.com

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: KENNETH FINLAYSON=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 5:24 PM
  Subject: DC

  Hi List:

  Time and again I have come across DC installed in a piano, and I feel =
the customer has thrown his money away. What really was wrong was tight =
centre pins, or tight key bushings.=20

  As RPT's, our primary reason for existance is not to make money: but =
to ensure quality piano care within the musical community. I ran across =
another DC recently installed in a brand-new Samick. In my opinion, it =
was a waste of money, which gave satisfaction only to the piano store =
who made a profit by installing it.=20

  I never recommend DC. I don't believe in them. I might someday, but it =
would have to be under very extenuating circumstances.=20

  From David Slolnik, Feb 10, Vol 156 Section 3 :- "In fact, Steinway's =
web site makes absolutely no mention of=20
  DampChasers.  They recommend maintaining the room environment at =
between=20
  45% and 65% by the use of room humidification, dehumidification and=20
  air-conditioning.  My experience has been that Steinway has been =
extremely=20
  reticent in recommencing the use of DampChasers, as they have no =
control=20
  over the quality of the installation, nor the dependability of the =
product=20
  itself."

  Kenneth Finlayson, RPT