Tuning problems: capo improvement suggestions

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:06:21 +0100

I would say that is mostly a friction problem from the beginning.

Even hardened capos are attacked by the strings vibes and tuning with
time, the advantage of brass is that it is self lubricant.

We've find that hardened agrafes (with an iron thread passing inside
where the string is supported) don't tune well, because of high
friction.

Hard iron rods in place of the capo, usually are attacked by the
strings too.

I have no physical explanation on how a soft metal work against an
harder one, but I remember that when sharpening chisels we use soft
stones for hard metal and harder stones for softer eventually.

Bests

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech