armond

Armond armond@snip.net
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:51:10 -0500

you guys are hilarious, i love it, the tv is off, Armond, good info.

on 2/10/03 10:03 PM, tune4u@earthlink.net at tune4u@earthlink.net wrote:

Keith (or anyone who understands the original post: allow me to demonstrate
ignorance and inexperience on a few points. Forgive me if this all makes
sense to everyone else on the net but for me there are questions--as in,
huh?

Alan, basically the piano needs to be stabilized no matter what tuning is
presently on the piano.

First you need to straighten the strings from the hitch pin to the bridge.
Hope they did that at the factory but don't count on it.

Space the strings.

Pull a note up to pitch + 10 and with your brass rod put the kink in the
string on both sides of the bridge and at the capo bar.

capo?

Then straighten the coil.

Measure the pitch of the note and tell the owner that has to be done to
every string. Probably the note dropped 25 cents and you're lucky. If it
didn't drop (pick a likely looking string) the owner is lucky and tell her
she just needs one of your tunings and the thing will be fine. Of course if
it drops 50 cents it is going to take an extra hour. I figure two hours
minimum just to get to a two pass tuning.

Pull the piano sharp based on how much the strings dropped when settling.

Pull the action and do the settling.

Make a pass and play the thing hard for a few minutes. Be sure you tightened
any bass strings that might need it.

and replace loop?

Tune it. Schedule the next tuning in 3 months. Add some voicing. If she
thinks she can get the other guy to do all that, get out of there quick.

Keith R