Rosler ... Store Prep

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:03:59 -0600

Keith (or anyone who understands the original post: allow me to =
demonstrate ignorance and inexperience on a few points. Forgive me if =
this all makes sense to everyone else on the net but for me there are =
questions--as in, huh?

Alan, basically the piano needs to be stabilized no matter what tuning =
is presently on the piano.

  First you need to straighten the strings from the hitch pin to the =
bridge. Hope they did that at the factory but don't count on it.=20

  Space the strings.=20

  Pull a note up to pitch + 10 and with your brass rod put the kink in =
the string on both sides of the bridge and at the capo bar.=20

against capo?=20

  Then straighten the coil.=20

  Measure the pitch of the note and tell the owner that has to be done =
to every string. Probably the note dropped 25 cents and you're lucky. If =
it didn't drop (pick a likely looking string) the owner is lucky and =
tell her she just needs one of your tunings and the thing will be fine. =
Of course if it drops 50 cents it is going to take an extra hour. I =
figure two hours minimum just to get to a two pass tuning.=20

  Pull the piano sharp based on how much the strings dropped when =
settling.=20

  Pull the action and do the settling.

  Make a pass and play the thing hard for a few minutes. Be sure you =
tightened any bass strings that might need it.

winding, and replace loop?=20

  Tune it. Schedule the next tuning in 3 months. Add some voicing. If =
she thinks she can get the other guy to do all that, get out of there =
quick.

  Keith R
    ----- Original Message -----=20