Dampp-Chaser comment (was RE: Rebuilt Steinway...The General Issues

Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:30:35 -0500

Keith -
I think my purpose in stating what I did below was neither to debate the
merits of the product (which I am happy to install when I feel it
appropriate), nor to condemn Steinway for  any ambivalence or ambiguity
that they, as a company, may feel about it.  It might, in fact, be very
difficult to fashion an official, quotable policy (with, potentially, legal
implications) regarding something, about which, there can be varying
degrees of applicability and control.

My point was that the customer's impression that Steinway did not recommend
DampChasers did not materialize from the ether.  It is very possible that,
while Steinway may have officially adopted a policy which acknowledges the
potential benefits of the product, the individual dealers and other
personnel may be continuing to express the older policy, or their own,
individual convictions.  As it is, the issue is not even what Steinway's
policy might be, but rather what information she was given by the
particular dealer from whom she purchased the piano.

David Skolnik