The Mother of all Bellyrails

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Sun, 09 Feb 2003 18:35:19 -0500

--=====================_9254171==.ALT

Del,
         Now that I know you are on a dial up modem connection I hesitate
to ask for any more of an effort for you. I guess I've become very spoiled
indeed with my DSL. I leave it up to you.
         What I'm interested in is the mounting of the soundboard and the
configuration of the board itself. I'm curious about placement of the ribs
when you get down that far and the bridge with those monster buttons you
spoke of and the spacers? did you call them between the bridge and the
board. Both long and short bridges are a curiosity to me. The overall
structure of the belly looked rather interesting in that segmented shot. Is
this a customers piano or one you bought for your own efforts? What is it
worth in it's present state? Is the bass bridge 3 pieces or one? Are any of
the bridges laminated or solid? What is the grain configuration? Did they
hold up or are they shot? The board mounting is of interest to me as I was
thinking lately of some free floating board design myself. This is the
first I've ever heard that, once again, there's nothing new under the sun.
Drats!
         Virtually anything and everything your willing to send along I am
interested in but I really hate to bother you with it. All of this is a
curiosity to me. I may have a chance at picking up or working on a rather
unusual Chickering I encountered at a golf resort. I tried to explain that
they may have a diamond in the rough and that they should consider dumping
excessive wads of cash into it's reconstruction but I think I may have
scared them off. I'll let it stew for a while and then offer to buy it I
think.
         How functional is the action you described? Will this bring out
the true capabilities of this instrument once it receives your full care in
reconstruction? Are you contemplating and changes there or will you stick
with what's there? How will you get parts?
         Well, I've taken enough of your time. Great to see that after a
considerable amount of time in this business that one can still be
titillated by new discoveries! Perhaps this can make a good journal article
someday! It would really be great to read and see a complete story of how
it was found with a description of the condition wherein it arrived at your
door and the subsequent efforts and discoveries along the way. Thanks again
for sharing!

Greg

At 06:01 PM 2/9/2003, you wrote:

> [...]

Greg Newell