The Mother of all Bellyrails

Bill Maxim wmaxim@sc.rr.com
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 22:13:58 -0500

Re: The Mother of all BellyrailsLooks very familiar to me, with all that =
extra iron on the plate extending under the strings.  My first piano was =
a Chickering built like that, cost me $35 in 1955.  I don't remember the =
model number nor the length (6 feet?) but if I were a betting man... I =
was a college student and learning tuning on the side.  Bought it to fix =
up and sell.  It never sold, so I gave it to my church.

Glad to hear from you that the design had so much positive going for it. =
 I was disappointed in the primitive action:  no repetition levers and =
the jack flanges mounted directly on the keys.  One-piece ivories.  =
Glued-in pin block which suffered from my attempt to ream out the plate =
holes for 4/0 tuning pins. =20

Bill Maxim, RPT
Columbia, SC