The Mother of all Bellyrails

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 08:20:08 +1100

--============_-1167383285==_ma============
At 9:38 AM -0800 8/2/03, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>I've been at this rewhatevering business since early in the 1960s.
>About the time I figure I must have seen most everything, someone
>like Chickering comes along with this:
>

>. . .
>
>No structural deficiencies here....
>
>Del
>
>Delwin D Fandrich
>Piano Designer & Builder
>Hoquiam, Washington  USA
>E.mail:  <mailto:pianobuilders@olynet.com>pianobuilders@olynet.com
>Web Site:  <http://www.pianobuilders.com>www.pianobuilders.com

Thanks for the post Del, its a very interesting piano. It looks to be
between 6'0" and 6'6"? Its interesting to see another older scale
layout where the designer has had the courage to make the last plain
wire E32. Some of the 'modern' designers could benefit by considering
such possibilities. The trichord covered tenor section might better
have been done as bichords from D#31 down, but nevertheless it is a
vast scaling improvement on some of the dreadful 'modern' six foot
grands with the lowest plain wire on note B27.

Spurious plate strut resonances would be well under control with this
design also. I note also that the low end of the tenor bridge and
high end of the bass bridge has been placed equidistant from the
perimeter of the board. Some of the 'new breed' wide bodied grands,
with their somewhat ordinary crossovers, leave much to be desired in
this respect. Will you be rebuilding this piano Del? If so I look
forward to hearing your impressions of its sustaining qualities post
rebuild.

Regards,
Ron O.
--