The Mother of all Bellyrails

Sat, 8 Feb 2003 09:38:44 -0800

------=_NextPart_001_004B_01C2CF55.DF92B9E0
I've been at this rewhatevering business since early in the 1960s. About =
the time I figure I must have seen most everything, someone like =
Chickering comes along with this:

Yes, that gold stuff between the agraffe line and the bridges is plate! =
It's all part of a continuous, one-piece casting. And around the =
bellyrail the casting extends down probably another 75 mm the full width =
of the bellyrail with large (probably #18 or so) 4" (100 mm) wood screws =
spaced about every 150 mm or so. Yes, the plate is heavy. Yes, what =
would normally be an overbar is actually an underbar. Yes, the pinblock =
is fully fitted inside the plate cavity. Yes, the tuning pin holes are =
size-on-size with the tuning pins. (It must have been interesting =
driving those 4/0 pins into holes intended to flush-fit 2/0 pins!)

Now, you would think, with all this massive plate and belly structure =
(the three longitudinal bellybraces are fully 100 mm x 150 mm) the idea =
would be to provide a solid foundation for the soundboard. But, no, the =
soundboard is semi-floating on a liner approximately 15 mm tall by about =
35 or 40 mm wide. It is attached only every 300 or 400 mm. You might be =
able to make out the small wood blocks with screws--there are five of =
them--along the bass side. That's how the entire soundboard is =
mounted--including underneath that massive plate structure.

No structural deficiencies here....

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder