Tips on finding leaking damper

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Sat, 08 Feb 2003 10:14:32 -0600

Hi Terry,
                 Another test,  depress the pedal and check that the
offending damper is perfectly in line with it's neighbors.   The should
include head tilt.  It's easy to get fooled.  The top of the damper hits
the strings just like it's neighbors, but the lower part of the damper is
hardly seating on the strings.
The adjustment is best done first in an action cradle with the damper lift
rod propped open.  Eye ball both the tips and tails of the damper
heads.  If memory serves me, that's a flat damper?
If this is done and the problem is still there, loosen the head screw and
lower the damper on the wire about 1mm. The damper may be touching a node
point.  ( But I doubt it) Not noticed this problem on P22's.
Regards Roger