F Chopin

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 19:37:29 -0600

I'm really curious about this repeated assertion:

This is an original Bird Cage/Over-Damper-Style instrument predating
1850. These pianos were typically manufactured with wood plates
(emphasis mine) instead of the full metal plate construction which
came after 1860, as pioneered by Steinway. Pre-1860 instruments were
traditionally tuned to a lower concert pitch in the A435 range,
simply because the instruments' wooden plates were not designed to
take more foot-pounds of string tension.

All pitch history aside, I have yet to encounter a wooden plate and
have a hard time imagining such a beast, can anyone enlighten me?
Doesnt the metal plate date back to Alpheus Babcock in the '30's?
Maybe he's thinking of Geo Wash's teeth.....
--
----Dave

Dave Doremus RPT
New Orleans