Tips on finding leaking damper

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 19:16:13 -0500

    Hi Phil:
    If you hear the same soft sound whichever note is played, maybe =
approaching it from where the sound is coming from would be helpful.  =
Try playing whatever note makes the sound the most prominent, then =
dampen each string (or 2, or 3 for each note) with your finger to see if =
you can quiet the sound.  Once you've located the source of the noise, =
it should be easy to zero in on the cause.  Guess you've tried all the =
tricks except the "right" one.....
    Mike Kurta
  From: Phil Ryan=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 11:13 AM
  Subject: Tips on finding leaking damper

  I have an old, but in good condition, spinet that after removing the =
action for minor repair, cannot get rid of a leaking damper sound when =
any note is played.  The dampers are in good condition, good quality =
felt, all touching where they are supposed to, but something is ringing =
very softly.  I've tried all the "tricks" I know with no solution.  =
Anyone got an idea that I might try to find this leak?

  Phil