Tips on finding leaking damper

Paul McCloud pmc333@earthlink.net
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 08:35:44 -0800

If it's a Baldwin, the pedal rods must be set very loose, with plenty of
play in the pedal.  Check to see if the damper(s) move when you push on
the string(s).  The dampers should follow the string movement.  Pluck
the strings individually to see if there is ringing from an improperly
seated damper felt.   Is the ringing from one note, or many?  Be sure
all the damper springs are in good condition, and seated on the damper
levers.  Maybe some came off when you reinstalled the dampers.   Check
to see if the action brackets are fully seated against the plate.  Put a
screwdriver against the action brackets and give a swift blow with your
palm to make sure it's seated.

            Good luck!

            Paul McCloud

            San Diego

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Phil Ryan
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 8:14 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Tips on finding leaking damper

I have an old, but in good condition, spinet that after removing the
action for minor repair, cannot get rid of a leaking damper sound when
any note is played.  The dampers are in good condition, good quality
felt, all touching where they are supposed to, but something is ringing
very softly.  I've tried all the "tricks" I know with no solution.
Anyone got an idea that I might try to find this leak?

Phil