broken agraffe

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Tue, 04 Feb 2003 17:08:18 -0600

Phil,

See below, from the archives. Maybe some of these ideas will help.

Avery

At 05:37 PM 02/04/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I've never replaced an agraffe, but I've done a lot of metal work and have
>removed many a broken screw.  Perhaps I'm missing something here, but why
>doesn't anyone use the screw extracting tools that are made precisely for
>this job.  (Are agraffes backwards-threaded or something?)  Just drill a
>small hole, push the tip of the extractor in the hole, and
>turn.  Presto!  The bigger and softer the screw, the easier it is.  Screw
>extractor sets are available from any Home Depot or Lowe's for a very
>reasonable price.
>
>Now removing a jammed and broken tap....  That takes a bit more skill and
>a more expensive tool.
>
>Peace,
>Sarah

There was an extensive discussion of this some while back and will be in
the archives. Do use Liquid
Wrench. Use it BEFORE working on the agraffe. I like to drill two holes,
opposite each other at the edge
of the stub, 1/16" or smaller. The drill will follow the path of least
resistance and cut the brass, not the
iron. Cut a screw driver of the appropriate size into a Vee shape so the
points go into the holes and give
a sharp quick twist of the driver will loosen and turn out the stub. If you
have enough room you may be
able to still do this. If it is really jammed in there you need to call out
the pros. Alternatively you can call in
a machinist. Alternatively you can call in a chemist, who can provide an
acid that will dissolve the brass
then a base to neutralize the acid. I hope you have better luck. Newton

I had the unenviable experience of losing an easy-out tip in an agraffe
shank. After a sprained wrist, a
titanium (?) drill bit and a few hours of swearing and sweating, I finally
managed to *carefully* drill around
the busted easy-out part, extract it, then proceeded to use progressively
larger bits to more or less drill
out the agraffe remnant. At some point, the remnant decided to cooperate
and it drove its way out the
bottom of the plate. Wish I'd realized that you can (sometimes) go *either*
way with a busted agraffe
remnant *long* before all of that easy-out business messed things up! Ron
Torrella

The best advice I have ever received on extracting broken agraffe studs is
to use a tool that you can make yourself. Get a small screwdriver with a
blade that is 3/16 wide. File the end like the illus. below:
  _____________ ( / )___________\_ You make this with a file edge placed at
a slight angle across the face
of the blade. Position the angle so that there will be a cutting edge to
dig into the bottom of the stud from
below the pinblock. If the screw- driver is short enough, you can tap the
points into the bottom of the stud.
Turn the driver clockwise looking upward into the plate hole and stud. If
you had not broken the easy-outs in
the top, you could have used this tool in the counter clockwise direction
looking from above. If you ever have
a case like this again, use this tool from above. In most cases, it comes
out quite easily. Another approach
to this problem is to use a left-handed drill bit from the top. Use a slow
speed drill, or tap holder. When the
drill catches in the brass, the stud will usually come right out. If or
when all else fails, you can do like I did on
my first job. Drill out the whole thing. Steinway has available a repair
agraffe for which you must tap a larger
hole. At least I think that's where I got mine back in '52. You can see
I've done it all three ways. Guess which
one I like the best. Jim Coleman, Sr.

Warning: if you try to drill more with a hard drill bit, there is a good
chance the bit will catch on the broken
easy-out and will also break off in the agraffe. This will leave you with a
small amount of brass and lots of
very hard steel in there. Ask me how I know!!! One big problem with
easy-outs is that they can actually
tighten the brass more in the hole. This is why they can break off in the
hole like yours did. Try the sharpened screwdriver idea first. Give it a
few minutes and try to get a really good bite in the brass, then see if it
won't
spin out. If this fails, get a right angle drill and some good sharp drill
bits. They don't have to be especially
fancy, just sharp. Using a mirror on the keybed, carefully centerpunch the
bottom of the agraffe. A short
center punch and a hammer held sideways will allow this. Slowly and
carefully, paying special attention to
the vertical alignment of the drill bit, drill up from the bottom until you
hit the bottom of the easy-out. Keep
your pressure light and you will feel the drill bit hit the hard steel.
Once you have drilled through to the
easy-out stub, take the drill away and insert a small drift punch into the
hole from the bottom, tap up on the
easy out, and it should come loose easily. Get it out of there, drill the
hole clean all the way through from the
top, then get back to removing the agraffe. >From here it depends on how
much brass is left in the hole. If
the remaining brass is thin you can just tease the remaining material away
with a jeweler's screwdriver. If
there is much left you should try again to spin the agraffe out with the
screwdriver, or something similar.
Since you will have a hole in the middle, a small Phillips screwdriver may
also be able to grab in the hole.
Be sure you have the tap to clean up the threads before installing the new
agraffe. Steinway can tell you the correct diameter and TPI. Best of luck.
Don Mannino RPT

Re: removing broken agraffes, The modified screwdriver is nice but if you
have a reversible drill handy,
another great way is to use a left hand drill bit available from good
machine shops. When used in a reversible
drill, the agraffe stub usually ends up turning out before you've drilled
very far into the stub. This is due, in part,
to the heat that is developed in the drilling process breaking down any
corrosion. This is a "must have" tool for anyone working on "potential
agraffe breakers"!! Good Luck!! Brian De Tar, RPT "NO OBSTACLES...ONLY
OPPORTUNITIES!!" BDeTar@aol.com