broken agraffe

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 12:15:33 -0500

    Phil:
    You might try drilling two small holes through the agraffe opposite =
each other.  Don't worry about drilling into the threads in the plate.  =
Then try collapsing the agraffe into the holes you've drilled with a =
small pointed punch.  That should relieve the bind, then tap the broken =
stud around with the punch until it is up high enough to grab with =
needle nose pliers and turn the rest of the way out. You may have to =
clean up the threads with a tap.   My best results are with a left =
handed twist drill down through the center.    As it grabs the brass, =
what's left of the agraffe backs right out.  You can do the same with a =
stubby regular drill and a 90 degree drill motor.  Go up into the broken =
piece from the bottom, and it will also come right out.  The soldering =
iron will not help as 1. it isn't hot enough, and 2. there is too much =
cast iron around the broken piece that conducts the heat away too =
quickly, like a heat sink.  Hope this helps, I suspect you'll get a lot =
of advice from others. =20
    Mike Kurta =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Phil Frankenberg=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 11:44 AM
  Subject: broken agraffe

  I am struggling with a frozen agraff on a Steinway D. Has anyone tried =
heating the stud ,say with a soldering iron? Any suggestions would be =
appreciated. When it broke it left a peak across the center making it =
extremely difficult to drill down the center for an ez out. I managed a =
slightly off center hole but it's not budging. Thanks.

  Phil Frankenberg
  Csuc Chico Ca.