Peterson Tuners

SUSAN P SWEARINGEN ssclabr8@flash.net
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 05:40:10 -0600

Roy,

I used a 490ST for a while.  My main reason for buying it was the price =
as compared with an SAT.  My my opinion, the 490ST is fine if you are =
mainly an aural tuner and just want to use the device to set A440 and to =
use it as a diagnostic tool in verifying false beats or other string =
problems.  It doesn't calculate a suggested stretch for each piano and =
that, in my opinion, makes it extremely limiting, especially when =
compared to new devices like the Verituner, which not only measures the =
fundamental pitch, but multiple partials of that pitch as well.

Yes, you will pay more for an SAT or Verituner, but believe me, you'll =
be glad you did.  Plus, you'll like the ability to use an ETD without =
having to plug it into a wall everytime like the 490ST requires.

Corte Swearingen
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: RCzekay@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 8:35 PM
  Subject: Peterson Tuners

  Anyone on the list who uses the Peterson PT 490 ST tuner? I am =
thinking about purchasing one, and would like to hear from anyone who =
uses it in regard to how well in performs. I've been tuning using a =
Peterson 420 which I purchased 25 years ago, and was well satisfied with =
that, unfortunately, it died, and I don't think it would pay to send it =
back to the company for rebuilding.

  Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

  Roy Czekay,
  Milwaukee, WI
  rczekay@aol.com