Plate Finishing Question

Bigeartb@aol.com Bigeartb@aol.com
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 23:40:59 EST

Joe:
     I always clean the plates I'm refinishing with mineral spirits. I use
Mohawk gold gilding and Campbell's lacquer. Chipping does occasionally occur
during re-stringing.
I covered the exposed part of the plate with a thick piece of felt. Touch up
is required after restringing. If you figure out how to keep from 'nicking'
the plate, please let me know. I've never stripped a plate but I have sprayed
primer one uses to primer automobiles before the final finish. I had the same
occassional 'nicking' problem. How do they string a new plate at he factory
and not 'nick' the plate.....or do they do the same but have a better touch
up procedure? Maybe we just need to learn a great touch up procedure.

Tommy Black
Decatur, Ala.