Damper Felt

Paul McCloud pmc333@earthlink.net
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 09:00:39 -0800

I've found dampers are less than stellar on the Chinese grands I service
(mostly Young Chang Bergmann).  I found most problems are due to the
poor quality manufacture of the trichord felt (one side thicker than the
other).  No matter how I tried to remedy the situation, replacement was
the only cure.  On hand was some vertically grained felt, so that's what
I used, and it works fine.

            Paul McCloud

            San Diego

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of tune4u@earthlink.net
Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2003 9:53 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Damper Felt

Steck grand (Chinese built). Trichord dampers don't seat very well and
one string rings-on a little in several unisons despite my tweaking,
felt squeezing, and praying.

Replacing same at customer's request.

Will make sure dampers are well aligned and regulated after removing old
felt, then glue in new felt at the piano.

Questions:

Horizontal cut felt or vertical cut? Preferences/differences?

Schaff options are no-name vertical cut and Laoureux horizontal. These
good?

How do y'all prepare the actual felt material before installing?

Any other suggestions, tips, or ideas to make sure I can satisfy this
good but fussy customer?

THANK YOU!

Alan Barnard

Singing String Squelching in Salem, MO