Damper Felt

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 07:45:57 -0500

I've used the Laoureux with very good results. I've also used Yamaha, but I understand they don't sell it anymore unless you can give them a Yamaha-American serial number, two copies of original bill of sale, scar from moving piano, and two proof-of-purchase seals from the original box. I believe Tokiwa makes damper felt similar to the Yamaha felt. Many have stated that they like the Yamaha the best.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: <tune4u@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 12:52 AM
Subject: Damper Felt

Steck grand (Chinese built). Trichord dampers don't seat very well and one string rings-on a little in several unisons despite my tweaking, felt squeezing, and praying.

Replacing same at customer's request.

Will make sure dampers are well aligned and regulated after removing old felt, then glue in new felt at the piano.

Questions:

Horizontal cut felt or vertical cut? Preferences/differences?

Schaff options are no-name vertical cut and Laoureux horizontal. These good?

How do y'all prepare the actual felt material before installing?

Any other suggestions, tips, or ideas to make sure I can satisfy this good but fussy customer?

THANK YOU!

Alan Barnard
Singing String Squelching in Salem, MO