Detuning bass strings was Re: loose bridge pins

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:19:34 -0700

Hi Paul,
A few years back I decided to try an implosion of a piano that was
unrepairable.
With the piano almost at pitch, I took
OUT All of the screws holding the plate! Nothing happened! I then took an
eight pound sledge and began to give several good wacks to various struts
and thin spots that were not covered by strings and still nothing! I never
did get the critter to go! So to me  if a plate is going to go there must be
some weakness already thereI must have beat on that plate for 5 minutes, go
figure.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Tizzard" <ptizzard@mweb.co.za>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 12:45 AM
Subject: Detuning bass strings was Re: loose bridge pins

> Hi,
>
> A couple of weeks ago someone asked if they could detune just the bass
strings, to work on the bass bridge, without damaging the frame. I was
surprised to read that one can! I have always been led to believe that you
have to detune the piano in a specific way eg. all A's, A#'s etc. I see that
Ron Nossaman has again ok'd the procedure, so I wasn't seeing things. How is
it that structurally the frame is able to withstand the release of tension
in the bass area? Is it related to the findings of Al Sanderson, that the
plate is "loaded up more equally" when pitch raising  starting on A1 and
going up chromatically?
> Thanks,
>
> Paul Tizzard
> S. Africa