Downbearing question >> crowned or flat rib board

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 13:16:27 +0100

Hello David,

If memory serves he wrote about the use of trigonometry to compute a
vertical composite of down bearing pressure in pounds, using the 2 lengths
of the string, I remember asking myself why too.

May be because it is easy to measure the height towards the capo with a
thread, but difficult to measure this way with aggrafes because of the plate
bars in the way ?

I understand recently that we probably don't have to apply downbearing the
same way on a rib crowned soundboard and on a "compression crowned" board,
as the last one will do it's best under a light load, while the crowned rib
bar ask for the downbearing to give them some more internal tension.

That makes a big difference in approach I guess.
A friend of mine use to fine regulate downbearing pressure with the string's
rest height while stringing, checking with the strings at pitch as he goes.

Do some of you apply this method ?

Any thoughts about that ?

Bests
Isaac OLEG