SAT use

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:46:05 -0500

On Monday, September 30, 2002, at 09:29 AM, Ron Koval wrote:

> But going down into the wound strings, the machines have trouble,
> because mostly they are only listening to a single partial.  Our ears
> just search for what is "least bad", when working on everyday
> instruments, where the partials of a pair don't exactly match.

Most every piano has bass strings with partials that don't match
exactly. An ETD can be a very useful tool to help zero in on the "least
bad" tuning of the unison; in other words, I don't entirely agree when
other techs say "bass strings must be tuned aurally only". Tuning
unisons in the bass is like every other part of tuning -- there are
visual techniques that can be combined with aural techniques to provide
superior results.

I'm teaching an advanced tuning class at TSA next week. Bass unisons
will definitely be covered. Hope some can come.

Kent Swafford