PTG Technical Exam Seminars in Joplin, MO and Lincoln, NE (Long)

Vanderhoofven dkvander@joplin.com
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 23:44:22 -0500

Dear Joel (and the list),

The Central West Region of the Piano Technicians Guild is hosting a series
of three training seminars to prepare Associate members for the Technical
Exam.  Richard West is the Central West Region VP, and he is in charge of
putting together these 2-day training seminars.

On September 13-14, 2002, there was a 2-day workshop in Colorado Springs,
CO.  The Joplin seminar will be October 19-20, 2002.  The workshop in
Lincoln, NE will be November 16-17, 2002.

I am the local contact/planning person for the Joplin, MO workshop, which
will be held on the campus of Ozark Christian College.  To pre-register,
please e-mail me at dkvander@joplin.com.  Richard West sent out a .pdf file
that contains a copy of the brochures for these seminars.  If anyone wants
a copy of the .pdf file, please let me know and I will send it to you.  I
am not posting this .pdf file to the list because of the size.

The purpose for these 2-day workshops is to explain in detail about the PTG
Technical Exams.  The plan is to cover every part of the Technical Exam,
including the sections on vertical and grand regulation, string replacement
and splicing, hammer shank replacement, hammer shaping, replacing
keybushings, and rebushing and repinning action centers.  Every participant
will receive hands-on training using the actual jigs and action models that
are used for administering the PTG Technical Exams.

The Joplin, MO workshop will be most helpful for Associate Members of the
PTG, but RPT's are welcome to attend as well.  Each person should bring
their own regulating tools for use in hands-on participation.  We will be
using the three-note Young Chang upright action models, and the Renner
grand action models that are used in the actual PTG Technical exams.  We
will also be using the stringing jig for practice in replacing and splicing
strings.

The cost is $30.00 for PTG members, and $50.00 for non members.  There will
be opportunity for non-members to apply for membership to the PTG during
the seminar.  Non-members who join the PTG at the seminar will get a refund
on part of the cost of the seminar.  There will also be some PTG books,
Journal CD's and Technical Exam Sourcebooks for sale.

The schedule is as follows:

Saturday, October 19
8:30 am         Registration
9:00 am - 5:00 pm       Vertical Regulation
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm       Open Forum

Sunday, October 20
8:30 am - 3:00 pm       Grand Regulation
3:00 pm - 5:00 pm       Repair Stations

The instructors will be Richard West, Wayne Yockey, myself, and a few other
RPT's.  Wayne Yockey and myself are the Technical Examiners for the Kansas
City Chapter of the PTG.  I am very excited about this, because it will be
the first PTG technical training in Joplin in at least 10 years.  My hope
is that local chapters of the PTG will benefit from increased interest by
local technicians.

There will be time on Sunday for a short optional religious service for
those who wish to participate.  The cost of meals is not included, but the
Ozark Christian College cafeteria has good food at a reasonable price.  Of
course there are a number of fast-food restaurants within a short
drive.  If you are planning on attending, please e-mail me at
dkvander@joplin.com, and I will send you directions and more detailed
information about meals, local hotels/motels, etc.  I will also try to
answer any questions you may have.

If anyone has questions about the PTG Technical Examination, the following
web page should be very helpful to you.

http://ptg.org/exams.htm

Happy Tuning!
David A. Vanderhoofven
Joplin, MO

Below is a copy of the e-mail that Richard West sent out on 9/6/02.
**************************************
Hello, All

Enclosed is information about the three repair and regulation workshops
scheduled around the region.  Each is scheduled for a different month
and a different place.  All are aimed at reaching potential members and
Associates.  RPT's are also welcome.  I hope you'll pass the word about
these seminars because it's a way for technicians to get instruction on
basic skills.  I hope they'll be valuable for all who attend and I hope
these seminars will help Associates understand what the PTG exams are
all about and how to pass them.  Not that our exams are ends in
themselves.  They're one step to achieving the confidence and competence
that will serve customers better.  To me it doesn't matter whether a
technician is old or young, part-time or full-time, trying to provide
good service is the bottom line and exams are a means to that goal.

If you have any questions about the workshops or any other regional
matter, send me an email or give me a call.

Richard West, CWRVP