Walter dead bass section

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 22:07:11 -0600

Hi Ron,
A good quick test to find out if it is the strings is to lower a string =
about a fifth and bang the heck out of it, then quickly bring it back up =
to pitch. If there is any improvement it is usually a string problem and =
twisting the string may bring further improvements.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ron & Lorene Shiflet=20
  To: PTG - send/receive=20
  Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 2:44 PM
  Subject: Walter dead bass section

   I just bought a used Charles Walter studio the other day.  I'm a =
little concerned.  About 3/4 ths of the bass section is dead.  There are =
about 5 notes at the top that sound good.  The rest are dead. =20
    Here's the rest.  The piano has had pretty good use.  It's about 20 =
years old.  Action is Pratt-Read.  Regulation is pretty good.  There's a =
little lost motion in the keys, but it's primarily in the high treble, =
very little in the bass.  Hammers are moderately grooved and need to be =
reshaped.  Downbearing seems intact.
      I doubt it's the hammers since the grooves are bigger in the =
mid-range and treble where the tone is normal.  The strings are still =
dead when plucked with a finger.  There's nothing obvious.  The piano =
was played well and taken care of.  No cabinet scratches. =20
      Any ideas?

  Thanks in advance.

  Ron =20
                 =20