Hammers and scale

Mon, 23 Sep 2002 21:31:58 -0700

Del:

Do you mean you don't thin them along the treble edge at the rim or at =
the front?  As you have recently written, the board can be stiffened =
with an application of epoxy.  Can you also stiffen the board by, say, =
adding some quarter round segments along the underside edge of the board =
at the rim--to undo the thinning?  Or by adding a piece of wood at the =
front edge in the first capo section much like is done in the top most =
section?  That would require modifying the damper guide rail a bit but =
that wouldn't be too hard.  Are there other methods of stiffening the =
board in that section that you have tried and had any success with.

David Love

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Delwin D Fandrich=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: September 22, 2002 6:43 AM
  Subject: Re: Hammers and scale

    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: David Love=20
    To: Pianotech=20
    Sent: September 20, 2002 7:24 PM

    That makes sense.  But let's take our favorite whipping boy, the =
Steinway M.  As you know, when recalculating the scale, one tends to =
come up with a needed increase in gauges above note 50, pushing the =
tension up a bit all the way to the top (changes across the bass tenor =
break are another issue which I don't want to get into at this point).  =
If the Steinway board tends to be a lighter more flexible one, would you =
then be cautious about increasing the tension up there for fear of =
overloading a board that is not capable of dealing with that type of =
change?

    David Love

  Well, it's not an ideal world. The Model M scale has a real dip in the =
middle of the top tenor section and is generally lower than I would like =
to see it through the killer octave region. I am always cautious about =
raising string tensions on an existing piano. In this case I find the =
increase to be less bad than the alternative.

  Ideally, the soundboard should be stiffened up some through the whole =
upper third of the scale--quite the opposite from the effect achieved by =
diaphragming it. When putting new boards in these pianos we do not thin =
them out along the treble edge.=20

  Del