My First Bad Coil

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 15:48:44 -0400

I had a first today! I was tuning a Samick studio, and I was tuning the right string unison of B3. I hit the key and I heard the pitch drop. I hit it again and it dropped a whole bunch. I then I heard a snap, much like a string breaking. I saw the limp string and I assumed it broke. Upon closer examination, I quickly realized that the string had slipped out of the becket hole and simply partially uncoiled. I had never seen that before!

Looking at the other coils on the piano, I see that there are several others that appear to not be very tight, and one or two that may have even moved a bit. I guess that is why they tell ya to make that becket bend clean and tight when stringing! I always have, but I will make extra sure in the future!

Terry Farrell