PSO, The Real Thing

Mon, 23 Sep 2002 22:09:04 +0200

Hi folks

This weekend saw us traveling to the east of Norway to take
a look at one of these big gatherings of camping trailers,
mobile homes, tents, and all that kind of stuff. We are
looking to buy our first trailer you see. The trip is
certainly doable in one afternoon, but we decided to make a
weekend of it which of course meant checking into a hotel or
two along the way.

We chose hotels that are affiliates of the "Quality Hotel"
chain both on the way over and the way back. Now, I suppose
you are all wondering what this has to do with pianos.
Well... I am getting to that :) Seems like Quality Hotels
have decided that everything about their hotels should have
the appearance of being something that it really isn't. The
first was built with what appeared to be pillars and had
this strange looking combination of classical greek
architecture mixed with what could only be called New
England Colonial.... all in white plastic mind you... this
in some little ski town in the middle of nowhere... the
"pillars" were particularly intersting being in reality
concrete 4 by 4 beams sleved with a charming off white
plastic, slightly thickened in the middle section. Just
about everything in the building was like this.

We decided to get ourselves a nitecap and wandered into the
piano bar. AH finally something about pianos.... there
indeed was this grand piano and I sat down waiting for my
drink and for the player to start a song. From his first
note it was obvious this was no ordinary grand piano. Now
you have all seen the piano bar where the instruments guts
have been ripped out, and a keyboard has been put in place
of the keys. Here at Quality Hotels, they have gone a step
further. They didnt even bother to buy and old beater and
gut it. No nonononono... they actually built a case to look
like a grand to put the keyboard in. Close inspection of
this wonder product revealed the whole darn thing was
manufactured out of quarter inch cheap plywood, beveled
around the lid to give that "authentic" touch... and given a
fine coat of some kind of black enamel paint, buffed to a
satin finish to hide all the dust. The keyboard was actually
of no better quality and probably could be had for 19.95 at
the local hardware store on one of those volume purchase
specials. Poor guy who had to play there... actually had
some talent... I felt sorry for him and he didnt look too
awfully enthused.

Well,  we got to our campers heaven...looked at a hundred or
so units... collected a library of handouts, brochures and
whatnots... and got in our car to head back... This time we
pulled into another town with another Quality Hotel, this
one had the appearance of being some kind of Swiss
Chateau... complete with holes in the plastic cheese at the
reception desk... which I suppose was suppose to give the
appearance of being some kind of quality welcome snack or
something. We checked in, waded through the plastic flowers
and plastic trees, and through a couple of plastic doors
with plexiglass windows and sat down at yet another piano
bar to have yet another nitecap before going to bed. Low and
behold.... the EXACT SAME solution for the "grand piano"...
different fairly talented uninspired player.... but
obviously they had ordered a crate of these quarter inch
plywood grands to stick Sharp or Marx or Crustex or some
such name keyboards into.

Well,,, sigh... at least they had real wood and paper
chinese umbrellas in their long drinks. I guess that was
something. In anycase... the experience gave new meaning to
the concept of a Piano Shaped Object.

Cheers !

RicB

--