....."ETD generated tuning and refines it."

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 18:04:56 -0500

On Sunday, September 22, 2002, at 05:56 PM, Joseph Garrett wrote:

> When the exam committee is setting up a piano for the "master tuning",
> the
> use of an ETD is not allowed. (period)
> The ETD is simply used to measure and record the results of the master
> tuning, which is done strickly by ear, by at least 3 tuners, with aural
> tuning skills. It is obvious that you have NEVER participated in
> setting up
> an exam piano!

Hmmm... I helped train Bill as a CTE; Bill successfully completed his
training, and experience in master tunings is required of all CTE
trainees, so the evidence would suggest that Bill has participated in
master tunings. ETDs are allowed in master tunings, so long as they are
not the final arbiter of any tuning questions. The ear is the final
arbiter in master tunings, but that is not the same thing as saying "no
ETDs allowed".

Kent Swafford