Franz Mohrs Credibility, was ETDS

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 16:56:48 -0500

Which ETD's were in common use when he made that statement? If it was old
strobes or early tuna-scopes I could better understand his feelings.

Also, I imagine that even an (forgive me aural-only people) "old school"
tuner like Mr. Mohr would be appalled if people relied on ETDs to the
exclusion of really having the skills to hear, understand, and feel the
complexities of tuning and, therefore, have the ability to make intelligent
decisions and subtle corrections even with the best ETD in hand.

If he ever tuned for Millie's Grandma in West Treestump, Missouri it was a
loooong time ago. As I understand it, he was a big piano, concert tuner,
almost exclusively, and also almost exclusively Steinway. I know that he
tuned the Small European A-A temperament which he laid out in 4ths and 5ths.
I'll bet he could do it in his sleep with one ear tied behind his back!

Anyway, he earned the right to be fussy and particular--it's what his
position demanded of him. But when I am an hour late getting to Millie's
Grandma' 1947 Gulbransen spinet I, for one, am mighty grateful to own some
spinning lights!

It's all perspective.

My thoughts ...

Alan R. Barnard