Franz Mohrs Credibility, was ETDS

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 18:43:12 -0400

Comments interspersed below:

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan R. Barnard" <mathstar@salemnet.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2002 5:56 PM
Subject: Re: Franz Mohrs Credibility, was ETDS

> Which ETD's were in common use when he made that statement? If it was old
> strobes or early tuna-scopes I could better understand his feelings.

Two to three years ago. Just before the Accutuner III came out. The SAT II and RCT had been out for years. But I don't have a hard time thinking that he has seen many "tooners" using an "early tuna-scope" (cute!) and hence might acquire an attitude. Again, I was suggesting that he might be a tad behind the times.

> Also, I imagine that even an (forgive me aural-only people) "old school"
> tuner like Mr. Mohr would be appalled if people relied on ETDs to the
> exclusion of really having the skills to hear, understand, and feel the
> complexities of tuning and, therefore, have the ability to make intelligent
> decisions and subtle corrections even with the best ETD in hand.

Again, my reason for citing Mr. Mohr was that it was an unqualified "throw the bum out!" I believe that would include Dr. Sanderson, Jim Coleman, Dean Rayburn, etc. And keep in mind also, that he was not speaking to an audience of professional musicians - just run-of-the-mill piano owners.

> If he ever tuned for Millie's Grandma in West Treestump, Missouri it was a
> loooong time ago. As I understand it, he was a big piano, concert tuner,
> almost exclusively, and also almost exclusively Steinway. I know that he
> tuned the Small European A-A temperament which he laid out in 4ths and 5ths.
> I'll bet he could do it in his sleep with one ear tied behind his back!

No doubt. And no doubt it had been a few years since his last Betsy Ross.

> Anyway, he earned the right to be fussy and particular--it's what his
> position demanded of him. But when I am an hour late getting to Millie's
> Grandma' 1947 Gulbransen spinet I, for one, am mighty grateful to own some
> spinning lights!

Be careful you "bum", or you might get "thrown out"!