Hammers and scale

Thu, 19 Sep 2002 23:43:49 -0700

higher tension cause you to reconsider how you set downbearing, for
instance?

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 19, 2002 7:29 PM
Subject: Re: Hammers and scale

>I'd be interested in hearing more on the relationship between hammers and
>scale design.

If you're talking about just string scale design, I'm not sure there is a
relationship.

>It seems that the trend in rescaling is often to add tension to the upper
>regions of the piano, especially Steinways.

Among, but not exclusive of other concerns. Sometimes a lot of other
concerns.

>Does a higher tension scale call for a larger or harder hammer necessarily?
>
>David Love

No, by my criteria of what constitutes good piano tone, but hammer choice
is secondary to the relationship between the string scaling and the
soundboard assembly design. Hammer choice and voicing can only give you up
to, but not beyond, what the soundboard and string scaling have to give.
Consequently, hammer choice and voicing is a process of minimizing
detriment.

Ron N