Hammers and scale

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 21:29:04 -0500

>I'd be interested in hearing more on the relationship between hammers and
>scale design.

If you're talking about just string scale design, I'm not sure there is a
relationship.

>It seems that the trend in rescaling is often to add tension to the upper
>regions of the piano, especially Steinways.

Among, but not exclusive of other concerns. Sometimes a lot of other concerns.

>Does a higher tension scale call for a larger or harder hammer necessarily?
>
>David Love

No, by my criteria of what constitutes good piano tone, but hammer choice
is secondary to the relationship between the string scaling and the
soundboard assembly design. Hammer choice and voicing can only give you up
to, but not beyond, what the soundboard and string scaling have to give.
Consequently, hammer choice and voicing is a process of minimizing detriment.

Ron N