Piano Sound: The Rim

baoli liu baoli_liu@yahoo.com
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:08:18 -0700 (PDT)

A hard rim or (case) offers the board to vibrate more
stablely and then contribute to the focused,pure and
solid sound.

While a piano soundboard vibrates,there is more or
less unstable vibration(whick is called "chaos"
vibration),as well as very stable vibration(named
vibration modes).

"Chaos" vibration could be easily understood if we
think about a piano string with fluse beat.We all know
that fause beat usually comes from bad string
temination,such as loosed bridge pins,bad-knotched
bridge cap,etc'.the fause beat is a good sample of
unstable vibration(chaos).

The maple rim can restrict the chaos vibration of the
board the then allowe the board vibrate more
stable,more solid and,then creats a pure, focused
piano sound.

That's my understanding of a solid piano case.

Baoli